REPAIR CORRUPTED VIDEO FILES- Videos are the best way to entertain us, especially when we are bored. We generally save our memorable moments as photo and video files. We can save our videos in multiple formats, including MP4, H.264, MOV, MKV, etc. However, instances may occur when these videos get corrupted or deleted automatically on your devices. A corrupted video indicates that you can’t play it. So, it is very important to fix that corrupted video as soon as possible.
A corrupted video is actually a blob of data that is doing nothing just eating your storage space. There are several reasons why your video files may get corrupted. If you are facing a similar situation, then you must know the best ways to repair corrupted video files on Windows devices and other devices that you are using.
Why Video Files Actually Got Corrupted?
There are several reasons why issues like corruption may occur on your video files. It may be either due to the video file itself, its storage location, or the device on which it is being played. Some of the main reasons are:
- Sudden shutdown of your camera or system
- Improper conversion of video formats
- Unstable internet connection
- Error while reading or writing data
- Issues while downloading video files
- Unreliable video editors can also cause such problem
- Malware or virus attacks on your system
- Corrupt or damaged video headers
- Low battery while recording or transferring videos
- Damaged, improper, or unauthorized media player
- Bad sectors on Hard disk or storage device where the video is saved
- When file extension is automatically changed to any other format
How do I Repair Corrupted Videos Files on Windows System?
Once you are familiar with the reasons for the corruption of your videos, it’s time to apply some workarounds to repair corrupted video files. There are several manual methods available that you can try in such a situation. Along with these manual methods, you can use video recovery software programs to fix corrupted video files. Let’s discuss each of these video repairing options in detail.
Method 01: Repair Corrupt Video File Using VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player is a popular Windows application that not only allows you to play video files but also fixes minor corruption issues. It consists of in-built index video repair features that resolve the corruption issues with your video files by repairing movie file indexes. All you have to do is:
- Firstly, right-click on the corrupt MP4 video file that you want to recover and select the “Rename” option.
- Now, rename the file by changing its format to “.avi” and press Enter button.
- Launch the VLC media player; click on “Tools” and select “Preferences”.
- Navigate to the “Input/Codecs” section from the ribbon appearing at the top of the window.
- Under the Inputs/Codecs “Settings”, choose the “Always fix” option in the “Damaged or incomplete AVI file”.
- At last, click the Save button.
Once you are done with the above steps, try playing the corrupt video file with VLC; it should run. If the problem still occurs, move to the next method.
Method 02: Transcode Video Files in VLC Player
If the above method of repairing corrupt video files using a VLC media player fails, then you can transcode your videos. This go-to media player can help you in repairing corrupted or damaged video files in several ways and transcoding is one among them. Transcoding video files in the VLC player makes them able to play on unsupported media players. So let’s have a look at how to repair corrupted video files by transcoding them in a VLC media player:
- Launch the VLC Media Player in your system.
From the Media menu, click on the “Convert/Save” button.
- Tap the “Add” button to browse for the MP4 video file that you want to transcode.
- Next, click on the “Convert/Save” button. From the Convert window that appears on the screen, select the file name and the desired file location.
Now, from the Profile list, you need to choose the desired input codecs for your video file. Press the “Edit Selected Profile” button to configure the profile settings for a specific profile. Additionally, you can also create new profiles or delete existing profiles.
- Once done, click on the “Start” button.
This video repair method will repair corrupted video files arising from incompatibility with the media player. Once the transcoding is successfully completed, play your videos using VLC or any other player.
Method 03: Increasing Cache Values of Your Videos
Increasing the Cache values of your damaged or corrupted video files by fixing their video lags and associated stutters. You can increase the Cache values in the VLC player to fix corrupted video files by applying the following steps:
- Open VLC Player and tap the “Tools” option.
- Now, choose Preferences from the Tools menu.
- From the Show Settings option, you will get two options, i.e., Simple and All. Click on “All”.
- Now, tap the Input/Codec option and choose the Advanced option.
- In the File caching(ms) option under the Advanced section, you need to increase the cache value to 1000.
- At last, click on the “Save” button and restart the VLC media player.
Method 04: Use Video Repair Software
If the above-mentioned methods anyhow fail to repair corrupted video files, you can try video repair software. Software like Stellar Repair for Video can help you to fix issues with your video files and make them playable again. The software can easily repair your severely corrupt movie files, music videos, and other video files with just a few simple clicks.
The tool can fix corrupted video files of multiple formats including MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, and more. It can repair videos stored on hard drives, memory cards, SD cards, and any other storage devices. You can even repair multiple video files simultaneously using this video repair software. Once your video file is successfully repaired, it will preview the repaired video files before saving them on your device.
Stellar Repair for Video software is well compatible with all versions of the Windows OS without any additional extensions. Go through the following steps to know how to repair corrupted video files using this software:
- Firstly, download and install the “Stellar repair for video” software on your device.
Launch the software and click the “Add File” button to add the video(s) that you have to repair.
- After uploading the videos, click on the “Repair” button to start the repair process.
- Once the repair process is completed, preview the repaired video. Click the “Save Repaired Files” button to save them at the desired location.
Quick Tips to Avoid Video Files from Corruption
Fixing the corrupted video file is easy but it is better to avoid such problems in the future. There are certain tips that you can keep in your mind to ensure the same.
- Always try to create backups of your video files on more than one backup media before editing them.
- Make sure your PC and the installed anti-virus program are updated as an outdated version can also corrupt or damage your videos.
- Avoid unexpected shutdowns of your system or camera while recording or transferring video files. Make sure your device has a reliable electrical connection.
- Avoid any sort of interruptions while moving, copying, or editing your video files.
- Also, avoid using any untrusted third-party app for video editing
Having a corrupt or damaged video file can put you in great trouble if it is not repaired. In this blog, we have provided the best ways to repair corrupted video files on Windows devices. With an advanced approach to repairing video file corruption issues, the Stellar repair for video software is a one-stop solution. The software comes with various advanced video repair options that will definitely help you to repair existing corrupt videos.